29 March 2021
Advancing Culture of Prevention in ASEAN 4th Meeting of the ASEAN Working Group on the Declaration on Culture of Prevention for a Peaceful, Inclusive, Resilient, Healthy and Harmonious Society
Bandar Seri Begawan, 29 March 2021 – The 4th Meeting of the ASEAN Working Group on the Declaration on Culture of Prevention (CoP) for a Peaceful, Inclusive, Resilient, Healthy and Harmonious Society, chaired by Yang Mulia Hajah Nor Ashikin binti Haji Johari, Permanent Secretary (Community and Culture), Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, was convened today via video conference. The meeting outlined plans and priorities, to advance the implementation of CoP, and identify potential actions and cross-sectoral collaboration to continue to implement the CoP projects and policy initiatives.
With renewed commitment, considering post-pandemic recovery efforts, Senior Officials Committee for the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Council (SOCA) Leaders, together with Chairs and Vice Chairs of Sectoral Bodies under ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC) and His Excellency Kung Phoak, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN for ASCC, re-emphasized the significance of the implementation of the ASEAN Declaration on Culture of Prevention (CoP) for a Peaceful, Inclusive, Resilient, Healthy and Harmonious Society, in promoting greater cross-sectoral and cross-pillar cooperation, especially those under-addressed focal priority areas. This is in line with Brunei Darussalam’s ASEAN priorities, under the theme ‘We Care, We Prepare, We Prosper’ for this year.
During the meeting, the implementation plans and priorities to advance the implementation of the 6 thrusts of CoP were outlined by the respective Lead Sectoral Bodies:
- Thrust 1: Culture Of Peace And Intercultural Understanding by Chair of ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting for Culture and Arts;
- Thrust 2: Culture Of Respect For All by Chair of ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Social Welfare and Development;
- Thrust 3: Culture Of Good Governance At All Levels by Chair of ASEAN Cooperation on Civil Service Matter;
- Thrust 4: Culture Of Resilience And Care For The Environment by Chair of ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management;
- Thrust 5: Culture Of Healthy Lifestyle by Chair of ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting for Health Development; and
- Thrust 6: Culture Supporting The Values Of Moderation by Chair of ASEAN Senior Officials Responsible for Information.
The Working Group was created through the Declaration, adopted by ASEAN Leaders at the 31st ASEAN Summit held on 13 November 2017 in Manila, the Philippines. The Declaration emphasises the need for upstream approaches to prevent the emergence of downstream problems so as to enable ASEAN to comprehensively respond to and address challenges that hamper sustainable, human and social developments in the ASEAN region.
The Meeting also welcomed the efforts to amplify and widen CoP awareness, including uploading the Plan of Action on CoP and the Monitoring Matrix on the Implementation of PoA on CoP on ASEAN website; and the proposed convening of the Partnership Forum to Advance the Implementation of the CoP and ASEAN CoP Webinar series. In turn, these will open up opportunities for inclusive dialogue for relevant stakeholders.